Tuesday 11 March 2014

Sighting Red-wattled lapwings in my village

I sighted a pair of red wattled lapwing sin my field which is overgrown with shrubs and acacia trees. I was surprised to locate these birds in my field as they are normally sighted in and in close proximity to ponds and water bodies. Our area is particularly bone dry and there is absolutely no water to be found anywhere in the radius of 15 kms. Red wattled lapwings are ground nesting birds and get extremely disturbed when it sights any threat to the nest. I was really surprised to see them in my village and I assumed that they must have got scattered owing to the drying of a lot of ponds because of failure of two consecutive monsoons.
Date of sighting 09/03/14 at around 5:00 pm

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful. Agree there are many surprises.. Ours is a dryland and last year with failed monsoon the near by pond was dry still I could see many birds including The White-throated Kingfisher & White breasted Waterhen just by incidental watching some are in the link http://kothukaadu.blogspot.ca/2013/08/birds-of-kothukaadu-jadayampalayam.html

    ReplyDelete