Sunday 23 February 2014

Birding & More at SACON on 23/02/14

Today was a eventful day starting with a jungle trek inside the Salim Ali Center for Ornithology and Natural History (SACON for short). This was a eventful trek where we sighted quite a few birds. Some of the birds we sighted were sighted for the first time in my life. The entire group put together sighted some 51 species but many escaped my attention some possibly because of my preoccupation with my camera.

I was able to see a Paradise fantail flycatcher (white morph) male. What a sight it was! I wonder how the bird managed to develop such a long tail. I also wonder if the tail never gets entangled in the canopy while it is trying to catch flies. The cuckoo shrike, Malabar Parakeet, white browed bulbul, Jerdon's bushlark, hill myna were also beautiful birds which I am seeing for the first time.

The trek was followed by a basic breakfast by CNS members. I reminded myself that I should contribute for the breakfast next time. The breakfast was followed by a excellent presentation by Mr Jayapal on Taxonomy and the changes that are happening. This was a very informative lecture and it served to remind me of the things I needed to focus on in the future.

The trek was followed by a movie screening on Natural history "Tiger Dynasty" it was a movie about reintroduction of tigers at Siriska National park in Rajasthan after a period of four years where there were no tigers. (The last tigers were poached) It was a wonderful documentary and I recommend it highly to all natural history enthusiasts.



Birds sighted:
  1. Paradise fan tail flycatcher (Life)
  2. White browed bulbul (Life)
  3. Red-vented bulbul
  4. Red-whiskered bulbul
  5. Cuckoo shrike (Life)
  6. Jerdon's bushlark
  7. Green bee-eater
  8. Chestnut headed bee-eater
  9. Jerdon's bushlark (Life)
  10. Common Iora
  11. Spotted owlet
  12. Hill myna (Life)
  13. Common myna
  14. Black shouldered kite
  15. Jungle crow
  16. Greenish leaf warbler
  17. Indian Peafowl
  18. Malabar parakeet (Life)
  19. Yellow beaked babler
  20. Tawny bellied warbler /babler
  21. Indian Robin
  22. Pied bushchat
  23. Small minivet
Cuckoo shrike

Hill myna

Jerdon's bushlark

Malabar Parakeet

Paradise flycatcher (Male)

Spotted Dove

Spotted owlet

white browed bulbul

No comments:

Post a Comment