Thursday 27 February 2014

My thoughts on Bird watching

I have been bird-watching since the last few weeks and I feel I should share my thoughts on the same to a general reader. I went for the first bird watching session (On December 1st 2013) and when I returned I was quite bewildered and couldn't understand the point of the whole exercise. Frankly, I couldn't understand what made people come and do bird watching again. I had previously purchased a book "Birds of Kerala" by Salim Ali. I tried to read about the birds that we looked at in the bird watching session. However, it was not until I saw the documentary series "Life of birds" By David Attenbrough, did I realise the range of diversity that the birds and how they adapted themselves to various environments. I joined the facebook group of Coimbatore nature society and began following the posts of the various members. I became busy with my own personal life as my daughter was born on December 17th. I went with my friends on a trip to Wyanad armed with my Salim ali book and also another book by Anand Banerjee (A field guide of beginners, Common birds of India) which basically listed the commonly seen species of India.

I began to appreciate the birds and really began to enjoy bird watching. Every time, I sighted a new species, it was a moment of ecstasy. I was also able to feel very stress relieved and felt that watching birds helped me communicate with nature and Nature started revealing its secrets to me. It is the closest I have come to mediation. I am reminded of something a friend told me long ago. He said, when you listen to music, you will be able to enjoy it if it sounds good. But when you know the different musical instruments and you have studied about songs, you will be able to enjoy music at several different levels. I feel the same thing applies to life and about birds. You can live your entire lives not knowing about birds but if  you knew a little bit about them, you will enjoy life a bit more.

Once I started watching birds, I started to notice that there were a lot of species in my own back yard that I had never noticed before. I also started accumulating books about birds. The most enjoyable books I have read are those which didn't just described or helped in identifying birds but those which gave intimate portrayals of birds and how they related to man (About Indian birds by Salim Ali and Laeeq Fatehally) These books really helped me appreciate birds much better.

Unfortunately though, a vast majority of the bird watchers are content with looking at birds and knowing very little about them. Well, if they knew a little more, their observations will bring even greater happiness. However, as a novice myself, I feel, I have no right to pass judgement on others. I just have to learn to accept that each persons journey is unique and beautiful in its own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment